Vegan BBQ Sandwhich
Hearty, Full of texture, flavorful Vegan BBQ Sandwhich made with fresh, simple ingredients, naturally sweetened, and the are done in less than 30 minutes! Savory, smoky, perfectly sweet - a delicious plant-based meal!
- GROUND SEITAN
- 2-3 cups Ground Seitan
- 1 cup 192 g vegetable
- BBQ Mixture
- 2 Tbsp 30 ml coconut oil
- 1/2 of a white or yellow onion 55 g, minced (plus more for serving)
- 2 cloves garlic minced (1 Tbsp or 6 g)
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced (60 g)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste You really don't need much salt
- 1 15- ounce Vegan friendly BBQ
- 1-2 Tbsp 12-24 g coconut sugar *completely optional
- 1-2 Tbsp 15-30 ml vegan-friendly Worcestershire sauce* (like this brand)
- 1-2 tsp chili powder plus more to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin plus more to taste
- optional: pinch smoked or regular paprika
- FOR SERVING optional
- Gluten-free or whole-wheat hamburger buns*
1. To a small saucepan, add 1 cup vegetable broth and ground seitan
2. Bring to a medium boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until
well done and crunchy. Drain off any excess liquid and set aside.
3. In the meantime, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, mushrooms or
jackfruit ( I use both) , onion, garlic,and bell pepper. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir to combine.
4. Sautè for 45 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the peppers and onions are tender and slightly
5. Next add BBQ sauce, coconut sugar ( If I use honey BBQ I don't add any
sugar) ,vegan worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, and paprika(optional). Stir to combine.
6. Once the seitan is cooked and well done, add them to the skillet as well, and stir to combine.
7. Continue cooking mixture on medium to low heat until completely warmed through and thick, stirring
occasionally about 5 minutes.
8. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more chili powder and/or cumin for smokiness, salt for
saltiness, coconut sugar for sweetness, or worcestershire for depth of flavor.
9. Serve the mixture on toasted buns with sliced onion. Best when fresh, though leftover sloppy joe mixture
will keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, or on the stovetop, adding water if the
mixture has dried out.